Please follow these common sense rules to avoid any network abuse when using WinHTTrack. It’s not fair for other users or the webmaster of the site if you’re hogging all his bandwidth. Not all sites have unlimited bandwidth.
I have taken this info from http://www.httrack.com/html/abuse.html. Check back there for any changes
- Do not overload the websites!
- Do not download too large websites: use filters, but use them sensibly
- Do not use too many simultaneous connections
- Use bandwidth limits
- Use connection limits
- Use size limits
- Use time limits
- Only disable robots.txt rules with great care
- Try not to download during working hours
- Check your mirror transfer rate/size
- For large mirrors, first ask the webmaster of the site
- Ensure that you can copy the website
- Are the pages copyrighted?
- Can you copy them only for private purpose?
- Do not make online mirrors unless you are authorized to do so
- Do not overload your network
- Is your (corporate, private..) network connected through dialup ISP?
- Is your network bandwidth limited (and expensive)?
- Are you slowing down the traffic?
- Do not steal private information
- Do not grab emails
- Do not grab private information
Downloading a site can overload it, if you have a fast pipe, or if you capture too many simultaneous cgi (dynamically generated pages).
Following these general guidelines will ensure fairness for all. I’ve seen sites shut down because the webmaster was fed up of his site keep running out of monthly bandwidth, costing him extra money in server and host costs.
Use my article advice, and Xavier’s brilliant software, with GREAT care, and be considerate of others. Make donations to your favourite sites!
Many thanks to Bandit for his pointers about a disclaimer.